Friday, October 16, 2015

HEALTH AND HEROES

I have reached the point in my life where my heroes are becoming fragile, even human and it reminds me that in a game of one on one, life is undefeated. We grow up watching, admiring, even idolizing our heroes because they were more than likely our first bigger than life images that gave us something to believe in beyond the comic books and cartoons set in a distant land.



I reflect back on these days and times now being past the age of my heroes in their prime and wonder what they were going through in their lives while we were wishing for the perfect life we assumed they were living. And it brings me to Lamar Odom and the tragedy of his life. Lamar Odom, NBA player, not reality cast member has endured enough tragedy for every 3-4 people who criticize him. I have lost family members and many who may be reading this have too; but he has also lost friends and the arguably an entire family when he was traded away from the Lakers. I think that was the pain that Lamar Odom had been trying to escape; the pain of losing his entire family. I spoke with a several players including those who grew up in the Los Angeles area and they spoke of his joy of being able to walk to the Staple Center as if he was strolling down the blocks of New York where it all began for him. He won championships with the Lakers and as with admiration from the NBA voters he received 6th man of the year accolades. He was respected in the locker room like a kid in a candy store and he was ebullient in a Laker jersey, home and away. Now he is fighting for his life and a chance to reconstruct the pieces of good that once gave him hope. My comments are of prayer and not criticism because we're all one degree from his plight. To hear Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant and others share the Lamar they know erasing the Lamar some choose to attack, seems fair and fitting for a kid who has had to deal with more than his share of turbulence starting in his youth. I look forward to one day writing about how he made it all the way back...

http://www.daveparker39foundation.com

Speaking of heroes I had the pleasure of playing the Dave Parker Cobra Foundation golf tournament in Cincinnati last weekend; and while Dave was one of my heroes growing up he has now become a friend and super hero for life. The majority of the sports world knows The Cobra is battling Parkinson's disease but what you may not know is that Dave is winning. My scorecard is based on how I interact with Dave now versus Dave prior to the diagnosis; nothing's changed. He made fun of me then and we laughed as usual Saturday when I arrived at the golf course. He spoke first and made fun of me second, stooping down to take a picture of me to make me feel taller, laughing through the entire process. That is Dave saying I'll be The Cobra until I can't. I can't see him any other way and I also can't see him not putting others first. It's the other absolute world class quality Dave had then and now. His tournament is to raise funds for people and families affected by this currently incurable disease and again this is vintage Dave Parker. If you would like to learn more about his foundation or get involved click: Help the Cobra


Cincy Jungle

I watched Reggie Williams of the Cincinnati Bengals flying all over the field, staring down bigger than life running backs and daring offenses to try and deter him from making plays and none of them succeeded. Reggie was relentless, daring, educated and prepared to play the game one way, all out. For 14 years he had to be accounted for on every play and not taken lightly. He was in a word a "Warrior"; one who never took a play off.  A football throwback compared to his then new generation of football players. He had his challenges growing up and that may have fueled him even more. Fast forward to now and Reggie has had more surgeries than Tom Brady has touchdowns in a season. He has worked to keep his surgery ridden knee attached and his leg in one piece and we now feel for him remembering clearly how he got that way while we cheered without pain and sacrifice in our comfortable confines.

At times it seems so unfair that athletes like these and others, too many for roll call, pay a price that will forever be without appropriate compensation. The paths they chose brought them fame, fortune and notoriety that many of us envy; but it also brought them pain, sickness and bad health for which no paycheck, uniform or endorsement deal can appropriately replace.

I salute my heroes for the way they played the game, the joy they brought us and even the victories we shared. But now in reflection I salute my heroes even more for the price they paid for me to cheer them on. The least we can do is to keep cheering for them long after the game has ended.

That's the way I see it sitting in The Box Seat. I'm Wayne Box Miller.

3 comments:

  1. Wayne feel great to read this from u,Looking forward to your work.Need u back on radio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wayne feel great to read this from u,Looking forward to your work.Need u back on radio.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great stories about some great men...good job..as usual, Box... We supported them at the height of their careers and we should continue to do the same during the challenges.

    ReplyDelete