Saturday, November 7, 2015

SAFE AT HOME

By now we've all heard the news that former Cincinnati Red Eddie Milner passed and a bright light has now transitioned. I am not going to tell you Eddie was my best friend and on and on. I met Eddie as I did most baseball players because of my relationship with Eric Davis and Dave Parker. With that being said Eddie, Eric and Kal Daniels were the next generation of Reds stars that were going to usher in a new era of success and they all, one way or another, made contributions in the short or long term.


With Eddie's success came the typical temptations and challenges and it's no secret or no shame that Eddie battled drugs and life periodically throughout his time because we're all battling something. So as I move into the latter years of my life, I'm gracefully and prayerfully losing the need to pontificate the issue half-heartedly searching for cause and effect.

Battling anything whether it be abuse, addiction, gambling or living on the edge has an unexplainable addiction or rush that belies the price you will ultimately pay. But if you have compassion you root for the Eddie Milners of the world because in essence you are rooting for yourself; as a fan they gave you something special every time you saw them work their craft. Could anyone light up a room like Eddie with his smile and charm? Very few. Could any one be as infectious while talking to you all the while making you feel special like Eddie? Yes; but I liked Eddie's style and I just saw him this past October at Dave Parker's Celebrity Golf Tournament and the smile and the charm were at peak performance.

And then I got the news from a Pastor friend of mine and we were both in disbelief. He, because he knew Eddie on a deeper level. Me, because I just saw him and I thought about all the challenges he met, beat and was still fighting including some health issues. I spoke with Eric Davis who was a teammate and friend and learned even more about Eddie and his tenacity. I thought myself blessed that I seemingly have problems that were currently giving me a reprieve but, as they say, if you traded your problems with someone else you'd probably take yours back. I don't think Eddie would have taken his back but that's just me opining the situation without true knowledge. I think of how much baseball he didn't get to play and then quickly appreciate that he did make it to the major leagues and play for longer than a cup of coffee, nine years to be exact primarily with the Reds. So many can't make that claim which automatically makes him a success story.

Eddie with former Chicago Cub and Cincinnati Red Leon Durham

So now players and former teammates will come together; fans in sincerity offer tributes and others are asking questions that really don't merit answers. It doesn't matter what happened, it really doesn't. It doesn't matter where he was or whom he was with. It really doesn't matter what your opinion is of his life. Why? Because it was Eddie's life to live and bottom line is he doesn't have to live it anymore. Eddie Milner is safe at home, crossing the plate with a smile that would run any energy company out of business. He finished the game of life and unlike so many others, he wasn't in the stands but in the game for the good, bad and the ugly. So be careful of your self absorb perspective of his life because you may have to come face to face with all three facets of your life at once, which leaves you open to be judged; maybe unfairly like Eddie was at times. Rest in Peace Eddie and lets tip our cap to him this time...

That's the way I see it sitting in The Box Seat. I'm Wayne Box Miller.

1 comment: